1. 4 small bowl - Chana Dal (split chickpeas without seed coat)
2. 3 1/2 small bowl - sugar ( you can reduce or add more sugar)
3. 1 small bowl - Rava (Semolina)
4. 1 small bowl - Maida (All purpose flour)
5. 10 to 12 - ilaychi (Cardamom (small)) powder
6. Saffron for color and flavor
7. ½ small bowl - oil
8. 2 small bowl – rice flour
9. ½ Tsp – Salt
10. ½ - Nutmegs (Jaifal) powder
Method for Stuffing:
1. Cook Chana dal in open pan. Add more water. Cook chana dal till it turns soft.
2. Once it is cooked drain out excess water until the dal absolutely becomes dry
3. Add ilaychi, Nutmegs and cooked Dal. Grind it all in Mixer grinder and make a thick paste.
4. Take a pan and add the paste and add sugar.
5. Cook till the sugar dissolves and paste becomes thick.
6. Divide into 20 equal portions.
Method for the outer layer or paratha or poli:
1. Mix refined Maida, Rava, warm oil, and warm water. Make very soft, sticky dough. Knead very well. Use oil to knead. Divide into 20 equal portions
2. With greased palms, take one portion of dough and flatten it into a disc of the size of the palm. Place a ball of Chana Daal stuffing paste in the centre and fold the disc from all sides to cover the paste completely.
3. On a well-floured board gently roll out each poli. This can get tricky as the paste does try to slide out. Roll out with a light hand. Use a little flour if that happens.
4. Roast each poli on a hot pan. Cook both sides well. Apply ghee on both sides when done. Serve warm with bowl of milk.
Tip: You can make daal with the water that you drained.
Cooking Time: 45min.
Preparation Time: 15 min.
Makes 12 to 15 puran polis.